A Weekend in Budapest - Day Two

By Unknown - 13:32

I had aimed to condense my short weekend in Budapest into only one blog post but I just found it impossible. There is SO much to see and do in this city and if I wasn't desperate to visit other places around the world I wouldn't hesitate to return.

After a rather relaxed day of strolling around the city on day one, we decided to make day two a little more scheduled, heading first to Gellert Spa. 

Jen booked tickets online, as recommended, the day before we headed to the baths. We had been hoping to visit Szechenyi Thermal Baths instead but the outdoor pool was closed for renovation. We took that on the chin and headed to another of the popular baths. Typical tourists, we took the Pink/Purple line of the Hop On Hop Off bus to save our feet and headed over Margaret Bridge into Pest and down to Liberty Bridge where we walked our way back into Buda and onwards to Gellert Spa. 

Not being the type of girls to have a spa day, the part we enjoyed most was actually the walk there. It was a beautiful view and Liberty Bridge took our top spot of favourite bridges in Budapest. We also spotted a castle like building carved into the side of the rock and a church within a cave - both of which we decided to explore later. Firstly we of course headed into the spa to see what all the fuss was about.
We'd paid the equivalent of £19 for a day pass into the spa and cabins to change in. Inside we followed a tunnel towards the changing rooms before milling about awkwardly. We went for a look around to get our bearings; the outside pool was packed along with all the seats and the inside pool required swimming caps which we weren't aware of. I dipped a toe in before a man tapped his head at Jen and implied that we couldn't come in with our hair uncovered.
We left the inside pool with our tails between our legs and eventually found ourselves a spot in the outdoor thermal pool, above the main pool, which we spent the majority of our time in. It was relaxing, but we only spent an hour there in total, including a few posing photos and some shots of the view. I saw only one life guard the whole time we were there and none outside, and Jen was quite overwhelmed by the sheer amount of flesh she was seeing (her words), not being remotely into this type of activity in the UK we decided to call it a day on the spa and get back to exploring.

Outside we made our way just off Gellert Hill and into the Cave Church. It was still a used Church so it felt a little invasive having a look around whilst people attended their local mass, but all the tourists wondered around quietly admiring the building. We only needed a short time there as it was quite small, but it was very peaceful and a nice cool place to be away from the 28 degree heat.
We moved on and went back to Pest for lunch at an Italian restaurant called La Botte, which was lovely. The staff were very considerate and thoroughly checked all the items Jen had requested on the menu for any traces of her allergens. After wondering around more shops for quite some time we headed to our hotel to get ready for an evening meal at Hard Rock Cafe.

We made the walk from our hotel into the centre of Pest, going past the Hungarian Parliament and the monument, Shoes on the Danube Bank, which is to honour people who were killed during World War II.
Once at Hard Rock Cafe, we had a lovely salmon dinner and I enjoyed a cocktail before we went in search of the infamous run bars, coming quite easily across one of the most well known, Szimpla Kert.

Honestly, what an unusual place.
We weren't there for a night out as Jen couldn't drink for health reasons over the weekend, so we just wondered around the place. Some rooms were really dark with loud house music whilst another was like a junk yard and many of them were more like destroyed coffee shops. It certainly lived up to the name of ruin bar and had I had a few drinks in me I may have quite enjoyed the place, but the sheer chaos of the design really threw me off and I wasn't really sure what to do with myself. It wasn't jam packed but was fairly busy but a lot of the areas were seated ones. It was a cool place nonetheless and I'd be interested to experience an actual night out in Budapest. 

All in all, we had a pretty busy day and our feet ached once more. Walking around Budapest is well worth it as there is just so much to see. Make sure you come back to read about our third and final day! 
MissIsGoode

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I loved Budapest. Definitely a city I would return to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It just has so much going for it!

      Delete
  2. Budapest is so beautiful! I went there a few years ago for my 22nd birthday and loved it! One of the things we didn't get to do was to go the baths and I wish we had. Lovely photos.

    Kate xx
    www.mummywho.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Ah how lovely :) I wasn't that impressed by Gellert baths if I'm honest, but it definitely depends what you're into. The architecture of Gellert baths was incredible though. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. This just makes me miss Budapest SO much! I went there with my friend last year in january (it was -12!!!) so it's lovely seeing photos without all the snow haha. We went to the Szchenyi spa which was just stunning and so much fun. The ruin bars are so much fun as well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me miss it too! Oh wow ok I don't think I would have coped with that kind of temperature, we were definitely lucky to have such good weather at 30 degrees! But I bet it looked incredible covered in snow. We really wanted to go to Szchenyi spa as we had heard a lot about it, maybe next time!

      Delete
  4. I miss Budapest! We went last year and gosh! What a blast we had! It's such a great reminder to see some pics Iga www.igaberry.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it as much as I did! It's such an incredible city :)

      Delete

I always appreciate and love reading comments from you lovely lot, so comment away and don't forget to leave your links too! ♥