Travelling Back to Cornwall

By Unknown - 10:24

Counting down to Christmas in Cornwall has been the main thing keeping me going these past few weeks. Work's been challenging and a new role that starts on Monday will top the challenges I've already experienced. I've had one day off since my holiday to Cornwall in mid-August and I feel like it's been nonstop. Home life has been the most difficult of all - there's been an abundance of tension around the house with fall outs and fights galore. Having five adults under one roof who don't always see eye to eye is never easy going. So, I'm 100% ready for a break. 

I've had my Countdown App at hand to remind me how many days, hours and minutes away my journey back to Cornwall is, and when I started writing this post it was exactly 12 days, 17 hours, 1 minute and 50 seconds!

So to fill those days, hours, minutes and seconds I thought I'd share what I'm most excited about...

I'm excited to, obviously, see my family. Unfortunately, my brother won't be able to make it home for Christmas this year, but on Christmas Day we're having my sister's family round for a sleepover which will make it so much more special. Christmas with children around the house just gives the Christmas spirit a real boost! We've got the dinner menu planned, the sleeping arrangements ready, a few boardgames to play and hopefully some good Christmas films to watch. And I'm sure we'll manage to get my brother up on Skype to join in the fun!

I'm excited for decorations. My boyfriend's family don't decorate...like, a single thing. They have cards up around the house but they don't even always put the tree up. I don't know if they've always been like this - but they don't even do stockings! I assume they once did when Michael and his brother were children, but if, like my brother, you're not home for Christmas, my mother will damn well post the stocking up to you! She has also never missed posting up advent calendars, and I doubt that will ever change! But with no decorations in sight around here, my Christmas spirit is currently low. People have started to decorate the office at work which helps pick me up a little. 

I'm excited to be and feel at home. I've lived with my boyfriend's family for over a year and a half now, and it may sound a little sad but I only feel at home when he is there. And even then, I only feel comfortable tucked away upstairs in our bedroom. I don't always feel welcome here and I don't always feel comfortable. So, to get back to where I belong is what I'm most looking forward to. 

I'm excited to go for long countryside walks and strolls on the beach. I found the area around Michael and I got boring quickly, mainly because neither of us feel like we belong here. But I find so much peace when I'm walking around my village, Porthleven. The people are more friendly, the air feels fresher, I just feel so free. 


I'm excited to have my first Christmas with Michael. We've been together for three years now but due to our family homes being 300 miles apart, and over the years us having either University or work commitments, we've not been able to spend a Christmas together. However, this year he'll be coming home with me. Yes, we'll be sleeping on a not too comfortable sofa bed, and yes we'll have to wake in the early hours to drive those 300 odd miles, but it'll be so worth it to spend Christmas with everyone I adore (except the aforementioned brother who can't make it down due to work!).

I'm not wishing the days away at all, but I really cannot wait to travel back. I know the ten days we're down there for will fly by as they always do, but I'm just so ready for a break away from Nottingham that lasts longer than just a weekend. 2017 is just around the corner now and I'm definitely looking forward to what's in store for both Michael and I!

So, what have you got planned for Christmas and what are you most excited about?
MissIsGoode

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Issy, how are you been doing last year? I also take a place in a student residence so im waiting you upload some cities and places where i should go

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate and love reading comments from you lovely lot, so comment away and don't forget to leave your links too! ♥