My Body is a Temple

By Unknown - 12:26

As a student it's pretty tough being healthy. A Domino's pizza would honestly keep almost every student happy for a life time, and it comes down to having the will power to say no. Having this will power makes you almost a God - or a sinner in some student's books (I know some people who will do anything for a Domino's pizza - no joke).

You hear people all the time say 'The diet starts tomorrow', but when it comes to student's you hear more hilarious statements, for example a friend of mine announced, whilst eating cheesy chips and drinking a diet coke, (the diet coke was part of her healthy start) 'I need to start treating my body like a temple'. We found this hilarious to say the least, but it did get me thinking about how unhealthy I am.

Exercise is drunk dancing and walking onto and around campus. That's pretty ridiculous right? Don't get me started on what I eat. I cook dinner from scratch every single night for myself and two other friends (Faye calls me 'wifey') and they're always healthy and delicious, if I do say so myself. But it's the times I eat other meals and the snacks in between that are the issue.

So I've come up with a list of rules that I'm going to attempt to follow, and I thought I'd share them with everyone else, student kind or not:

1. No more late lunches (This means past 1pm) - so you wake up at midday...your thoughts are breakfast. Student's don't do brunch. We want a breakfast and a lunch - no matter what time we rise.

2. Breakfast is a must - guess what this entails...waking up earlier! Sleeping too much tends to make you too tired. I had more energy as a college student when I woke up at 6:30am 5 days a week, now I have a minimal amount of energy, go to sleep in the early hours of the morn (for example, I in fact typed this post at midnight yesterday) and I never wake up when my ambitious alarm (I always set it for 8am) plays an annoyingly repetitive tune.

3. Don't snack before meals out or meals at the boyfriend's house - I get bored waiting to go for a meal out and start snacking and regret it when I get to the restaurant and have to pass a quarter of my steak to my boyfriend because I simply cannot finish it. The reason I suggest not to eat before going to your boyfriends house or when any of the male species is cooking for you is because, and I've really started to notice this, males have absolutely no portion control. They make man sized portions...man size is a non existent portion, it just means make a food mountain.

4. Stop eating late - you know when you come home drunk and think it's a fantastic idea to make a bacon and egg sandwich - *dribble* - but you realise in the morning you were too drunk to even know if you successfully cooked it correctly or even what it tasted like? Yeah that has to stop.

5. Snack healthily - student's know what's healthy, but honestly a pizza looks so much more appetising than a banana. But I'm just gonna have to suck it up and no, pineapple on your pizza doesn't count as one of your 5 a day...nor do chocolate raisins to my dismay.

6. Order a Graze Box - I'd heard of these before but had never actually tried one until my boyfriend bought this spectacular thing into my life. They're pretty awesome.

7. An important issue when ordering a Graze Box is the spectacular talent of successfully grazing - it's tough, I know.

8. The obvious one...exercise. In halls it's pretty hard to bust out the Zumba DVD and dance yourself stupid without really annoying the poor person in the room below you, so there's sports societies you can join (I'm still considering this) or simply just walking or jogging...just get active.

9. Limit alcohol intake - cue all students laughing in my face - I've left this until last because I honestly can't say it's something I could successfully do, but it's worth considering. No, I don't count units, and no, I don't know anyone who does. But alcohol is often a huge contributor to your expanding waistline - and even the mixers you use don't help.

So, there's my list! I intend to try my hardest to stick to these rules, I'll have to let you know how it goes! If you're starting to realise your diet has gone pretty down hill since you got complete control of what you buy and eat, make your own list, and make it realistic!
MissIsGoode

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I always appreciate and love reading comments from you lovely lot, so comment away and don't forget to leave your links too! ♥