H is for Home

By Unknown - 16:02

Ahh home is where the heart is.

I love being back in my little village but this time round it's made me realise how much things are going to change over the next year. Ever since I left for university coming home has been lovely, and have no fear it still is very much so, but I've always made that slip in front of my parents of calling university 'home' and then quickly retracting the statement so I don't upset them. Of course they don't mind (at least they say they don't) but it always makes me feel a little guilty. But now the reality is that in a years time my parents home won't be my home, it'll be my second home for ever but I don't intend to return to Cornwall upon graduation due to the lack of jobs. And before you point it out, I know there's a lack of jobs everywhere, but I think (perhaps naively) I may have more opportunity near a city.


Though I think now the reality of how old I am is starting to hit me and I realise I'm over half way through my degree, and this time next year I'll have to be thinking about where I'm going to be living and start searching around for a job *screams inside*. I'm surprisingly not resisting this idea as much as I was a year ago. During summer before I started my second year, I wrote this in a blog post:

'With him all ready to act like - because actually becoming a grown up doesn't seem remotely fun - an adult, it's made me realise how unprepared I am to become anything more than a fresher.'

At the time I was dating someone who was 5 years older than me, and graduating with a Masters degree, which made me feel pressured to grow up, rather than ready to. Now, I'm a little more ready to embrace the idea of graduate life. Of course I'm sure I'll feel totally different when it comes down to it, but for now at least being in the right mindset may benefit me a little!

Living wise I can't say where I'll be, perhaps with friends, strangers or maybe even with my boyfriend. It's unpredictable right now and dependant on what everyone else does too, so I can set that aside to think about early next year, rather than make plans that can't be made concrete now!

And work wise, I've absolutely no idea. My volunteering in Thailand may spur me on to doing a PGCE, or it may deter me away from it completely, unfortunately I simply can't say what job I may go into, especially with the job market the way it is now. All this mystery sort of makes it all the more exciting, rather than daunting.

Though for now, home is pleasant. I've spent many lazy days on the sofa, watching repeats of Come Dine With Me and working on my essays, whilst throwing a little bit of exercise in, but not nearly enough. I've also done my first whole day & evening of babysitting, successfully changing a nappy for the first time in my life *pats self on back* - and I can honestly say that looking after a 6 year old and a 3 year old for a few hours has definitely shown me that I'm content on steering clear of parenthood for another 10 years or so!


MissIsGoode

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Lol well done you for changing a nappy. Don't think I could do that :/ at least not without screaming.

    I know what you mean about the mystery and the uncertainty and the excitement. The job market may be crap but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give our dreams the dedication they deserve, right? My future is always uncertain. Sometimes I feel like I don't really have a home (my living situation is complicated and stressful) but then when I'm curled up with my boyfriend somewhere or watching tv with my brother I know it doesn't really matter, and I have all the home I need.

    You'll be just fine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it certainly felt like an achievement, but not something I want to do again any time soon!

      Very true and well put! I totally agree with you. That's such a lovely way to say it, and also very true!

      Thank you, I'm sure I will! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Hey Issy! You are doing great!! And am sure everything will fall into place, like it does, always!
    Hope you are having a great time reading, writing and connecting with fellow A to Zers, Issy :)
    I can see that you are a lil behind schedule for the A to Z Challenge, hope you'll catch up soon.
    Wishing you the very best in everything you do :)

    A Rose is a Rose is a Rose!
    Co-Host AJ's wHooligan for the A to Z Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just been bogged down with essays at the moment but will hopefully start catching up soon!

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Unemployment has been a major issue here in Portugal as well and obviously everyone's worried about their future... I try not to overthink about it :/ Unfortunately my "home" is still at my parents' house, as I can't afford my own rent. I could, if I abdicated my savings for travelling... Priorities, right? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah I agree with you! Parents offer living for a considerably cheaper amount. I'd move back to my parents house after uni if it weren't so far from everything. Travelling is definitely a priority! xx

      Delete

I always appreciate and love reading comments from you lovely lot, so comment away and don't forget to leave your links too! ♥